Monday, June 19, 2006

Carolina Hurricanes - Stanley Cup in '06 - Jun 19

Well sports fans, in case you don't know, the Carolina Hurricanes have defeated the Edmonton Oilers 3-1 in Game 7 to win the Stanley Cup. The Oil played well in what probably is the toughest road game a hockey team can play. In all four rounds Edmonton was able to steal at least one from the home side, important since they were the 'dog in every round. With this in mind I'd like to give out a few passing thoughts.

1) Hockey in June is flat out ludicrous. Even the Memorial Cup is over in May. Sorry, but I can't get up for a seventh game unless it's a team I really, really like.

2) For the love of the game, let's not have any more talk of strikes. Labor disputes in the real world suck enough without spoiled millionaire athletes getting in on the action.

3) Then there's the Leafs. Thanks to their ridiculous ticket prices I doubt I'll ever go to a game unless I get a free pair. That's why I get my hockey fix by way of the OHL's Barrie Colts. Will the Toronto Maple Leafs ever win a Cup? Well if the Boston Red Sox can win a championship after 85 years I suppose anything is possible. However, I don't see much light at the end of the tunnel as far as Leafs hockey goes. Hope always springs eternal with a hockey fan.

4) Kudos to the Oilers for a great season. With the Flames in the Finals two years back, it appears The Center of the Canadian Hockey Universe has packed up its bags in Toronto and headed for Alberta. So be it. Until MLSEL gets their collective head out of its ass it's gonna stay there for a while.

5) Can I please enjoy my summer now?

Johnny Cash

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your comment about the MLSEL was a little too descriptive for my liking. Does a X'n really express himself in public like that?