Saturday, February 14, 2009

The Sinner's Prayer - Feb 14

Without a doubt this is my most important post. I should have done this sooner but as the saying goes, better late than never. Let's look at some scripture first:

When you were slaves to sin, you were free from the control of righteousness. What benefit did you reap at that time from the things you are now ashamed of? Those things result in death! But now that you have been set free from sin and have become slaves to God, the benefit you reap leads to holiness, and the result is eternal life. For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
(Romans 6:20-23 NIV)

There is none so good that need not be saved and there is none so bad that cannot be saved. What must we do to avoid this eternal separation?

In reply Jesus declared, "I tell you the truth, no one can see the kingdom of God unless he is born again."

"How can a man be born when he is old?" Nicodemus asked. "Surely he cannot enter a second time into his mother's womb to be born!"

Jesus answered, "I tell you the truth, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless he is born of water and the Spirit. Flesh gives birth to flesh, but the Spirit gives birth to spirit. You should not be surprised at my saying, 'You must be born again.'
(John 3:3-7 NIV)

Do you want to be born again as Jesus commanded? There are literally a million and one different variants of the sinner's prayer. It's also the only prayer coming from an unbeliever that God will answer. Do you want eternal life right now? Then pray something like this:

Lord, I am a sinner. You promised that you would receive anyone who would come. Lord, I want to be saved. You sent your Son to die on the cross on my behalf. Lord, I now willingly accept that sacrifice. Thank you for saving me. Now give me the courage to make my private faith in Jesus Christ a public one. Let me never be ashamed of you. In Jesus' name I pray, Amen.

Johnny Cash

No comments: