Well, that's it folks. The Christian Defender is done. Great things are happening in my life. I'm now a licensed paralegal and a business owner in Brampton. As I'm now in my 40th year I figured it's time to step aside and let some younger folks take up the blogging challenge. It's been a wonderful four years and I don't regret a single post and I've enjoyed all of your comments. I'm leaving the Christian Defender up and running as there are still many of you who are finding my blog through Google and other various search engines. Signing off with lots of love,
Member of the Law Society of Upper Canada
Founder of the Christian Defender
(and most importantly ...)
A Servant of Jesus Christ
Sunday, October 17, 2010
Saturday, August 28, 2010
There is little doubt that Shania is the epitome of feminine beauty. She's rich, she's hot, and she's Canadian. She's also the quintessential girl-next-door who happened to make it very big. Here are a few of my favorite Shania pictures. Feel free to use them as screensavers!
Saturday, August 14, 2010
Found this awesome little video for you. Turns out the hyperbole about Islam being the fastest growing religion is a bunch of horse feathers. According to this video:
On a continent-wide basis, there are converts leaving Islam at a rate of:
667 per hour
16,000 a day and;
6 million annually
- In 1902 there were only one million Catholics in the Dark Continent. In the year 2000, that number has jumped to 330 million.
- Algeria has a growth rate of 10,000 new converts a year.
- Morocco beats that with a growth rate of 45,000 new converts a year.
- In Kyrgyzstan there are reports of tens of thousands embracing Christ.
- Pakistan had a mere 80,000 Christians in 1947. In 2000 that number has now swelled to six million believers.
- Bangladesh boasts of ten million new believers who have added their name to the Book of Life.
- Cambodia used to have 250,000 Muslims. They now have zero.
- Russia used to have 24,321 mosques in 1927. That number has now dwindled down to 20.
- All these numbers of new converts are ten years out of date and represent a low-ball conservative estimate. The case of Kyrgyzstan is a prime example of where the true number of converts is unknown.
- This doesn't even take into consideration the explosive growth of the church in China. When Christians not only get the attention of the the Communist Party of China but get them concerned and agitated you know something fantastic is happening.
- Islam's time is running out. So is the Church Age - or the 'end of the age' as Jesus mentions in commanding His Great Commission (Mt 28: 16-20).
- The new Leftists - those who wage the cultural jihad against the West and Judeo-Christian values - show themselves to be utterly bankrupt and on the wrong side of history. There will indeed be an 'end to history' but not the way the leftists envision.
- God's prophetic word is 100% trustworthy.
- The video mentions the explosion of new Catholics in Africa. The number of new converts created by Protestant churches and charismatics (Pentecostal) would also likely be a significant boost to the body of Christ.
- Lastly, I concur with the videos conclusions. This process will advance human rights, nation-building and the rule of law over the cruel dictates of Islam. It will be a glorious victory for mankind.
Wednesday, July 28, 2010
You've seen them as you drive by a local church. Church bulletins written by someone who doesn't have the best grasp of English grammar. We're all guilty of that I suppose. Without further adieu, here are some howlers I'm sure you'll have fun reading.
- The Fasting & Prayer Conference includes meals.
- The sermon this morning: 'Jesus Walks on Water'. The sermon tonight: 'Searching for Jesus'.
- Ladies, don't forget the rummage sale.. It's a chance to get rid of those things not worth keeping around the house. Bring your husbands.
- Remember in prayer the many who are sick of our community. Smile at someone who is hard to love. Say 'Hell' to someone who doesn't care much about you.
- Don't let worry kill you off - let the Church help.
- Miss Charlene Mason sang 'I will not pass this way again,' giving obvious pleasure to the congregation.
- For those of you who have children and don't know it, we have a nursery downstairs.
- Next Thursday there will be tryouts for the choir. They need all the help they can get.
- Irving Benson and Jessie Carter were married on October 24 in the church. So ends a friendship that began in their school days.
- A bean supper will be held on Tuesday evening in the church hall. Music will follow.
- At the evening service tonight, the sermon topic will be 'What is Hell?' Come early and listen to our choir practice.
- Eight new choir robes are currently needed due to the addition of several new members and to the deterioration of some older ones.
- Scouts are saving sluminum cans, bottles and other items to be recycled. Proceeds will be used to cripple children.
- Please place your donation in the envelope along with the deceased person you want remembered.
- The church will host an evening of fine dining, super entertainment and gracious hostility.
- Potluck supper Sunday at 5:00 p.m. - prayer and medication to follow
- The ladies of the Church have cast off clothing of every kind. They may be seen in the basement on Friday afternoon.
- Ladies Bible Study will be held Thursday morning at 10 a.m. All ladies are invited to lunch in the Fellowship Hall after the B.S. is done.
- Low Self-Esteem Support Group will meet Thursday at 7 p.m. Please use the back door.
- Weight Watchers will meet at 7 p.m. at the First Presbyterian Church. Please use the large double door at the side entrance.
- The Associate Minister unveiled the church's new campaign slogan last Sunday: "I Upped My Pledge - Up Yours".
Thursday, June 03, 2010
Hello again readers. I'm still on my 'hiatus' but I've decided to break the silence surrounding the recent brouhaha over the 'Free Gaza' flotilla. This video explains it all. As for me, I have nothing but contempt for these 'activists' and all the brainless anti-Semites who crawl out from under their rocks whenever Israel has the audacity to protect its people and its sovereignty.
"I am going to make Jerusalem a cup that sends all the surrounding peoples reeling. I will make Jerusalem an immovable rock for all the nations. All who try to move it will injure themselves.
Monday, April 26, 2010
It's the waning hours of Monday evening and I've got a few minutes before I go to bed. This is to let you know that the Christian Defender will be taking a temporary hiatus until further notice. Don't know how long it's going to be but I have every intention of keeping the X-Def going. I'm working Saturday and Sunday (12 hour shifts) and Monday to Friday is an exercise in trying to balance school and rest. I have no life! *Sigh*
I do have one request though. Whoever is sending those porn links from Japan is an asshole. As you can tell, all your efforts have been rejected so far. So please stop harassing me by sending these ridiculous comments. I'm sure there are plenty of porn sites out there that would appreciate your efforts. This blog is not one of them. So please stop. You're annoying me. Should you continue I will have no choice but to shut down the commenting feature altogether which hurts us all. Jerk!
Mind you, seeing as this blog is basically a one-hit wonder I doubt anyone really cares about the rest of my work. So we'll see what the future holds. Should my schedule clear up and my passion for writing remain I shall carry on posting. As always, the Lord knows best.
Ta-ta for now!
Monday, March 15, 2010
Although they claimed to be wise, they became fools and exchanged the glory of the immortal God for images made to look like mortal man and birds and animals and reptiles.
Complete and utter bunch of nutters these 'Earth First' types are. They're not 'out in left field', they've left the ballpark altogether. I've included the tag 'humor' because I couldn't help but laugh at these eco-idiots. The woman bewailing the loss of old-growth trees in a Carolinian forest is priceless. Same for the woman letting loose with a scream at the end. God is to be given the glory for His wondrous creation. Man is not called to worship trees but to take custody of them! Sadly, these 'enlightened' tree-huggers will never understand such simple Biblical precepts.
Tuesday, February 23, 2010
It appears I've missed the actual anniversary date of the X-Def by eleven days. Still, better late than never! Yes, a long time ago (February 2006 to be exact) in a galaxy far, far away (Tottenham, Ontario to be precise) the Christian Defender was born four years ago. Month in and month out I've tried my best to glorify God and His wonderful plan of redemption.
The Past 12 Months - Pain and Glory
In March 2009 I lost my good friend Ian to a massive stroke. It was truly a heartbreaking event as his death came most unexpectedly (doesn't it always?). He had a stroke Tuesday night, was admitted to Brampton Civic Hospital Wednesday morning and left us on Sunday. The proverbial silver lining was when I had the utmost pleasure to meet Ian's two sisters, Susan and Cindy. It's funny how death brings together people you normally would never have the chance to meet.
On the upside, I began my trek back to respectability by starting at triOS college for my paralegal studies. Pretty soon I'll be finished. Man how time flies! This past year has seen me grow on a personal level I never could have achieved had I stayed with Tipco. I've met some awesome instructors (Henry Lowi, Akua Carmichael, Michael Johnson and Syed Rizvi) and I've met lots of equally keen students who are just as passionate about the law as I am.
The Road Ahead
What lies ahead for me is anyone's guess. The near future is a murky one with no clear safe harbor in sight. That's usually how God works - He never tips His hand too far in advance. I've always managed somehow to land on my own two feet no matter the circumstance. All I can do at my end is be diligent and persistent. The rest I'll leave into His capable hands.
Wednesday, February 10, 2010
Pat Condell hits another one out of the park with his assessment of the Geert Wilders trial. As Pat says, authoritarianism mixed with cowardice will have deadly consequences. I fear that the forces of darkness are winning the cultural and spritual battle. The time of the church age is about to close. Will you be ready when Jesus comes?
Thursday, February 04, 2010
Saw this recently on newsrealblog.com and decided to share it with you. The video was made in 1948 by Harding College during the height of the Cold War. The quality is a little iffy and the overall effect a bit hokey, sort of like the old projectors I saw in the 70's. However, the message is a timeless one for all people regardless of their political affiliation. Please do give it a viewing!
Monday, January 25, 2010
Here's a little brain-teaser for you. Here's how it goes:
You have two jugs. One jug has a 3 litre capacity (or gallon if you prefer) and the other has a 5 litre capacity. Question: How do you use only these two jugs to end up with 4 litres in the 5 litre jug without guessing?
Give up? Here's Answer #1:
- Fill the 3L jug first.
- Dump contents into 5L jug.
- Refill the 3L jug again.
- Dump what you can (2L) into the 5L jug.
- Empty the 5L jug. You should now have 1L in the 3L jug and an empty 5L jug.
- Pour the 1L that you have in the 3L jug into the 5L jug.
- Refill the 3L jug for the third time.
- Empty contents of 3L jug into the 5L jug and there you have it. 1L + 3L = 4L
You'll need a minimum of six litres to complete this problem provided you have a large reservoir tank to draw from and dump in. Without that reservoir tank you'll need 9L of water. The problem with that is now you have an unacceptable attrition rate of 5 out of the 9 litres - 56% - being wasted (see step 5). There you go: a math quiz PLUS a conservation message to boot.
Here's Answer #2:
- Fill the 5L jug
- Pour 3 of the 5L into the 3L jug
- Empty the 3L jug
- Pour the remaining 2L left in the 5L jug into the 3L jug
- Refill the 5L jug
- Pour 1L of the 5L jug into the 3L jug and there you have it
Sunday, January 17, 2010
Happy New Year everyone! I'd like to apologize for not posting sooner. I had a good Christmas break even though I was busy with work and classes. Better that than just hanging around at home I guess. My studies are going well with my first win in moot court. Woo Hoo! I'm finding that the second time around was easier than the first. Isn't the way that it always works? It's going to take some time to get my legs under me as a new paralegal.
I wanted to start the new year with the concept of treasure. What I'd like to talk about today is the consequences of leaving your worldly faith behind and following after Jesus. While our reward in eternity is beyond our comprehension, the consequences here on Earth are very real and understandable. Here are three points to consider if you want to follow Jesus.
Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal: But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal: For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.
Sacrificing Your Most Valued Treasure: Your Sense of Self-Importance
The number one obstacle without question is a person's sense of pride. After all, you're a good person. You donate to charity. You perform good deeds. You haven't done anything that bad, have you? You may even be a regular church-goer! All of that means nothing. When we try to substitute our works for grace we are fundamentally rejecting what Jesus did for us at the cross.
Christianity isn't so much about religious doctrines, it's about a relationship with the Father by way of the Son. Without acknowledging His Lordship (and therefore His mastery over us) we become a narcissist and a sociopath. A narcissist only has space in their busy lives for themselves. All their relationships are a disaster because they cannot make room in their heart for anybody else. As far as the sociopath is concerned, the universe revolves around them and woe unto that individual that fails to acknowledge this salient point.
Your Second Most Valued Treasure: Your Position and Your Power
"When you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by men. I tell you the truth, they have received their reward in full.
Perhaps you're a person of influence and power. Maybe you have a reputation to protect. Or perhaps you're well thought of, a man about town as it were. Understand that all that can be taken away from you just like that. And if you're an unbeliever with position and you make that fateful decision to follow Christ, you better expect a sudden downgrade.
Do you want to be a celebrity? If your dream is for the world to fall on their knees and follow after you, becoming a Christian would be the worst thing you could possibly do. We hear of stories of individuals who had the money, the social status, the cars, the clothes and all the material advantages. They had the things which are supposed to make a person happy. Then they turn to Christ and usually end up paying a heavy price for their conversion.
Your Third Most Valued Treasure: Your Comfort Zone
Understand that God is not out to get you or to traumatize you with endless adversity. But what He is going to do is to take you out of your comfort zone in order for personal growth to occur. In short, God is going to take you on a path to discovery that few will ever tread. You can forget about people identifying with you because they won't. You've already surpassed them in godly knowledge and understanding. They're eating the dust of the trail that you're blazing and they don't like it. You've become a complete stranger to them.
If you want to be a pro in anything, be it theological or secular, be prepared to lead a lonely existence. Because the more competent and knowledgeable you become, the fewer and fewer peers (and friends) you will have. If want to rise above mediocrity, you'd better be prepared to shed friends and gain enemies.
We Walk by Faith, Not by Sight
"Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock. The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock.
Don't get this ridiculous idea that once you decide to follow Jesus everything is going to be sunshine and roses. You will still be buffeted by the storms of life. In all likelihood these storms will increase in intensity. But you will have something that an unbelieving world does not: A solid foundation upon which to stand. Nowhere does the Bible promise a life of ease for those who become a disciple of Jesus. What the Bible does promise is the resurrection of the body and life everlasting. Can the mind comprehend such glorious wonders? It cannot. And that's the rub. We trust in God's promises, not Man's. A Christian would have it no other way.