Friday, June 12, 2009

Six Months Later - Jun 12

For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.
(Jeremiah 29:11)

Well its finally done. I went to TriOS college today to do all the necessary paperwork. My course starts on Monday with Microsoft Word for two weeks followed by Excel for another two weeks. After the Labor Day break is when I get into the heavier stuff. Should be fun!

Waiting On His Timing

I got back from my hectic morning and arrived at home just after 2:30 p.m.. I noticed the date was the 12th of the month. On December the 12th 2008 I was laid off and I also arrived home around 2:30 p.m.. 'Funny', I said to myself, 'It's exactly six months later to the exact hour and date since I lost my job to now where I've become a paralegal student.' The logic and symmetry of the moment struck me as profound.

The God of Monday Mornings is the God of Friday Afternoons

Do you remember Christmas Eve when you were a child? How much sleep did you get? Probably none! I reckon the night of the 14th will be similar. Monday morning will not be pretty!

People always say TGIF. I say 'Why wait til Friday to give Him praise?'. Giving God praise on Monday mornings may be difficult for someone like me but keep this in mind: There are unemployed people out there who will wake up Monday morning with nowhere to go. Not unlike my situation they may have just received their notice of permanent layoff despite years of loyalty. Unlike Mondays past, I'm now expected to be at an exact place at an exact time. Seen in this context, Monday morning is a blessing!

Not The End, But The End of the Beginning!

Amidst all this nervous anticipation and a frenzy of activity I noticed the receptionist picking up the phone and asking, 'How did you hear about us?'. I imagine the answer would've been 'over the internet', or 'through an employment ad'. These people were phoning in just as I was sort of coming to an end. My true end of course is 52 weeks hence! But for these people their journey was just beginning. When I was at Herzing (Yonge and Dundas) I remember overhearing a young lady who had graduated recently and was starting a new job. How excited she was! I couldn't help but be a little envious.

My point is this: If you're at the beginning, remember that others have preceded you and will help if you're willing to listen. If you find yourself coming to an end others likely will be following in your footsteps. If they come to you, help them. You were once a rookie at this! The old Christian command 'Love one another' as Jesus loved us is one that we should tirelessly promote at home, church, work and at school.

Johnny Cash

No comments: