Sunday, July 12, 2009

Exactly Where I Need To Be - Jul 12

At the LORD's command the Israelites set out, and at his command they encamped. As long as the cloud stayed over the tabernacle, they remained in camp. When the cloud remained over the tabernacle a long time, the Israelites obeyed the LORD's order and did not set out.
(Numbers 9:18:19)

Forgive me dear readers for not posting sooner. As of this writing, I'm now four weeks into my studies. Two modules completed (Word and Excel) with many more to come. Between my studies and my part-time job I've had little time for blogging. For me, there's a point of professionalism and a sense of pride in consistently maintaining a blog month in and month out. Here then are my musings on becoming a new/old student again.

Wanderlust

Many of us exclaim 'Oh, if only I was over there rather than over here! Surely I would be much happier then!' But is that really true? Most of the time we are thwarted in our ambitions to be 'over there' when our attention ought to be focused here. Even if you are part of that 'lucky' minority, who's to say that happiness will automatically follow once you're 'over there'?.

Important Questions I Had To Ask Myself

Does it not make more career sense to pursue this paralegal stuff right after high school? On the surface it does. I would've completed my studies (from a public college like Sheridan or Humber) and still end up working for Tipco. Truth be told, I wouldn't have been mature enough for such an undertaking that early in my life. But right now is a different. I guess you could say I'm your classic late bloomer. Just as my time in Tipco was readying me for this moment, my time being spent now as a student is serving me for my good.

Waiting for His Perfect Timing

The scripture I chose was read to me this Sunday morning at church. 'How appropriate!' I said to myself. So many of us are so self-willed that we want everything right now. Yet if I had started in April, I wouldn't have had the part-time Commissionaires job needed to make ends meet. In a larger context, had this layoff been significantly delayed by a number of years it would seem too late. And if I'd been laid off years earlier I doubt I would have had the wherewithal to properly deal with the situation.

A Biblical Parallel

The Israelites had to endure slavery in Egypt before they became a nation. When found guilty of unbelief, another forty years as desert nomads was sentenced upon them before they could enter the Promised Land. Even then they still faced obstacles from possessing their inheritance. Does that path sound similar to you? I find it true of my situation. Of course God could've given the Israelites everything up front. Yet how would that serve His purpose? His message for the Israelites was clear: You walk by faith and not by sight. When I tell you to stay, you stay. When I tell you to move, you'd better get moving!

God: Both the 'Irresistible Force' and the 'Immovable Rock' - But Only If We're Listening!

So if we move when we're supposed to stay and stay when we're supposed to move, nothing but disaster will be the logical result. Forty years of futility was the penalty God had to impose on His people. Israel was out of Egypt but 'Egypt' wasn't out of Israel! I wouldn't want anyone to have their precious time wasted due to disobedience. Accepting Christ and learning to move when He moves is the surest path to success and happiness.

Johnny Cash

No comments: