Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Why Christianity? - Feb 14

Happy Valentine's Day for those who have someone in their lives! Love is a difficult thing to hold on to. I have the utmost respect for those who have made their relationship with that special someone last for any length of time.

With that out of the way, I figured I'd do a cheap post on the fly as it is already 11 p.m.. For me, there are at least three solid reasons why Christianity stands head and shoulders above all belief systems. Jesus Himself spoke truth when He stated that He was the Way, the Truth and the Life. Let's look at these one by one.

The Way

Let me make a confession to you first. I'm a nervous person. I always dread the worst is going to happen to me even when I have no reason to believe so. It's just part of my nature I guess. It's kind of funny that I dread the day to day stuff more than eternity. For most the reverse is true. The day to day stuff, the routine to which people become accustomed is their 'rock' upon which they stand. Any talk of death terrifies them. For me, death represents a new and exciting beginning, not some horrible 'lights-out-the-party's-over-fade-to-black' end that I should fear. Actually, I find myself more curious than anything as to what will happen when I breathe my last. Not being morbid or fatalistic you understand, just keen to know what awaits me on the 'other side'. You see, when you put your faith and trust in Jesus Christ, you know that He is going to guide you on the right path. We don't have to pray that hopefully God will lead us into righteouness, because He is perfect in every way. God doesn't merely point us in the right direction and wish us luck on our journey, He promises to be there every single step of the way, up to and including our last moments.

The Truth

One of the biggest lies that this world loves to tell us is that truth is simply a relative thing and is therefore unknowable. Truth however, is not a 'thing' or an abstract idea that one plays with and throws away when it no longer amuses us. No, truth is a person who was revealed to us by God the Father in the form of His Son, Jesus Christ. Moral relativists despise this idea. According to them, God is forever evolving and therefore morals are doing likewise. This so-called evolution of morality, rather than making us more holy and acceptable to God, leads us right into the cesspool and the gutter. Timeless truth in human terms means this: What is true today will remain true tomorrow, and error will always be error despite all of Man's best efforts. Truth is also a universal concept as well. It applies to male and female, to black and to white, to rich and to poor and to the weak and the strong. Yes, that is intolerant. And unapologetically so.

The Life

This one here is the real clincher for me above all past, present and future Bible prophecy. As the saying goes, If your religion doesn't change you, change your religion. I have read and heard many testimonies of individuals who have come to faith in Christ and they all share one thing in common: A big change in they way they conduct themselves and how they choose to lead their lives. I suppose that's the reason why so many foolishly choose not to follow JC: They're just 'stuck in their ways' and see no reason for (even positive) changes in their lifestyle. Jesus Christ is indeed the author of life. Without Him we just wither away to dust.

So there you go. I'm sure you could come up with a better list but this'll do for now. Hopefully I'll whip up a proper post soon for your reading enjoyment.

Johnny Cash

No comments: